Every baby is a gift, even if the wrapping is a little different.



Monday, August 27, 2012

New Speech Therapist

Today we are meeting with a new speech therapist for an evaluation. I've been in email contact with her and am excited to meet her. She asked for a video recording of my son in his own environment so she could see how he communicates. She also asked me to provide her with a list of words he says and words he signs. So far, she's asked for more information on him than his previous therapists.

Of course, my son is such a performer that as soon as he saw the camera recording him he started acting silly for it. I did finally get him spelling his name, singing the ABCs, reading a book with sign language, playing with toys that were talking to each other, and doing his favorite thing: playing with his fingers. He likes to use his fingers as people and make them talk to each other and chase each other.

It's hard sometimes not to get frustrated that my son isn't speaking more, but when I look back over the last year or so, I can see a dramatic improvement. He isn't carrying on verbal conversations but he's using more words and trying many more sounds. He's also using more signs. He's definitely progressed in his communication skills and in his verbal skills. I just get impatient at times and wish he'd start talking and tell me what's on his mind.

I'm looking forward to working with a new therapist and hope she'll provide me with definitive things to work on at home with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by :).