Every baby is a gift, even if the wrapping is a little different.



Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Speech Goals

The therapist is very happy with my son's progress, especially in how quickly he's picking up signs. Our goals until we have our next session are: combining up to 5 signs when requesting something, commenting on the world around him using 2-3 signs, and using more than one sign to communicate why he doesn't want to do something. He has no problem telling me, "No," but the therapist wants him to explain why he doesn't want to do something or why he's finished with something. We'll see how it goes.

We'll also be working on the following sounds: boo, bee, bye, bow, moo, me, my, mow.

I'm going to read Play to Talk by James MacDonald and Pam Stoika and see if I can glean some more advice on helping my son to speak. He has no problem at all communicating or interacting with others. He only has issues when it comes to verbal communication. But, that will come.

Now, if only I can figure out how to outsmart him when it comes to electronic gadgets . . . .

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I have a baby with Down Syndrome and have checked your blog out a few times for hope and inspiration. The last time I was here, you had an article under your Down Syndrome News-- I don't remember much about it other than the woman writer talked about how many Down Syndrome babies are aborted. Do you have an archive of these articles? I was telling a friend about this article the other day and now I can't find it. Thanks, Lonni
    lonleavitt@yahoo.com
    www.reincarnatedasamother.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thank you so much for stopping by! Babies with DS are wonderful and they grow into wonderful children and adults.

    The news feed only collects stories but it doesn't keep track of them or archive them. Sorry. When I did some research I found that 90% of all pregnancies diagnosed with DS are terminated. I'll send you an article I wrote with the source in it. Look for it in your email.

    Congratulations on your baby!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :).