Every baby is a gift, even if the wrapping is a little different.



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gratitude for my Son

I am very thankful for my son. I am very thankful that he's been so healthy and that he's doing so well. I feel very blessed.

When he was born, he had to spend time in the NICU because he wasn't getting enough oxygen. He was actually air-lifted to another hospital because the doctors assumed he had a heart defect. About 50% of those born with Down syndrome have a heart defect. I remember being so scared and wondering if he'd even survive the flight.

Thankfully, he did, and he didn't have the heart defect. He didn't have anything wrong with his lungs. He didn't have any problems with his intestines. He was able to suck and he was able to breathe, suck, and swallow at the same time. I'd been told he wouldn't be able to nurse, but I was determined to nurse him. I ended up nursing him for almost two years--even through an extremely painful bout with thrush that had settled in my milk ducts.

We never learned why he needed the extra oxygen. They'd suspected newborn pneumonia, but he didn't have that. I believe it was because he was induced too early. I hadn't kept good track of dates so the doctor relied on the ultrasound to pinpoint his due date. He was 8lbs 6 oz when he was born, most of my babies were over 9 lbs and I even had one that was over 10 lbs, which is a good size. I think his size threw off the ultrasound dates. Plus, the induction with him took so much longer than any of my others, induced or natural, I'm pretty sure he just wasn't ready to be born.

Four years later, I'm just so thankful it all turned out so well. Yes, he has some delays, but that's okay. He's healthy, he's happy, and he's surrounded by a family that loves him. Today, I am so grateful he was born into my family. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful baby boy you have...ok...you almost made me cry! He looks like he has a wonderful family too. I hope he continues to grow and progress and be a wonderful part of your family. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :).